Thursday, June 10, 2010

June 9, From St. Andrews to Hopewell Cape

Our last day at St. Andrews we went on a side trip to the city of St. John to see the Reversing Falls. Since I don' t have any pictures I won't go into too much detail, but it's an amazing phenomena that occurs daily. The flow of the St. John River is reversed by the high ocean tides entering the Bay of Fundy. Because of continental changes and icebergs centures ago, there exists narrow passages, deep ravines, and ledges that create huge whirlpools when tons of rushing water from the ocean reaches the river. It changes the direction of the river and creates a reverse water fall. - Weird, Huh! It is one of the 7 Natural Marine Wonders of the World.
While in St. John we visited the City Market, which houses a large produce and meat market, gifts and nic naks, cafes, flea markets,...you name it! We ate lunch there and returned to the campground.

Many of the RVers travel with their pets, mostly dogs. I thought this was a cute picture of one of the guys, Keith and his dog, Max. They both seem to be meditating quite peacefully.



Sam and Margaret and I went back to see the Kingsbrae Gardens. The garden is a lovely place which is maintained through a trust set up be one of the wealthy families associated with the town. The little doll house you see was built n 1860, it's in the Childrens' Garden. What about that bikini girl? Many of the landmarks, the school, the library, etc. have been provided by generous supporters of the community. It's probably the closest thing I've seen to a perfect little place to live ------- in the summer!






June 10




We left St. Andrews this morning, going up the coast to the little lobster village of Alma and the Bay of Fundy. We all bought fresh steamed lobsters and sticky buns. It was too windy to eat outdoors so most of us ate in our rigs. This has been the coldest day we've had...so far!

Our next stop was the The Rocks/Flower Pots. These are natural formations resulting from years of rising and receding tides. They look like giant flower pots. We walked down the cliff on a stairwell and actually walked around on the ocean floor during low tide. The tide has risen to 48 feet here which is one of the highest tides in the world. We had an expert guide who explain how all this came about. She was very well educated in marine science and entertaining too.


That evening we gathered at the campground for a social time with blueberry pie and ice cream. Here I come fat farm! At the beginning of the tour, the wagonmaster asked each person to write down one interesting thing about ourselves that the others probably didn't know about. All I could think of was my hula class. He didn't tell us we had to talk about it! So I just got some of the ladies up to join me. Joe was called on to share his ham-bone skills. He didn't miss a note! What fun!



Tomorrow we head for Nova Scotia, about 198 miles. This is what I've really been looking forward to. We went there 15 years ago and I've always wanted to go back in high season. Here's hoping I can make it - odometer reads 2,200 miles -




Think I'll make it?

1 comment:

Brad and Sharon Ellis said...

This is all way too much fun! Am I too young to go on an RV Caravan? I don't know that I could make it driving so far north. I might fall off the earth or something!

There's actually a fire in that fireplace where you and Papa were hula-ing and ham-boning! Oh, to be somewhere that's not 90 degrees with 90% humidity!