Saturday, August 27, 2011

August 27, Zion Canyon


It has been said that Zion Canyon can be a spiritual experience. All I know is that I prayed real hard while driving on the narrow, winding road (Hwy 9) into the park. I heard about this road with its sheer cliffs, switchbacks and tunnels. One particular tunnel is so narrow and dark that large vehicles like an RV have to pay $15.00 for a guard to stop traffic from entering the tunnel while you drive through.

This was my greatest driving challenge so far.
I don't have much information about this canyon
other than it was majestic.
The Virgin River flows through the valley and continues to change the architecture of this canyon. It's stream gradient is 50-80 feet; one of the steepest in the United States.



We spent the day on the shuttle bus touring the canyon. Then we returned home to prepare for tomorrow's adventure into the Grand Canyon. We will dry camp there which means no electricity or water hook-ups. But we have a large fresh water tank, solar panels for battery power, and a generator for air conditioning if needed. The temperature here was in the 90s and Grand Canyon may be hot too.

I think I want to go back to Oregon!

No comments: