Tuesday, July 19, 2011

July 17-18, Devils Tower and beyond


Having a terrible time uploading pictures tonight, so will have to wait and hope the next campground has a better internet connection. Devils Tower is to be continued!

We rode on to to Devils Tower, WY and visited this quaint 110 year old general country store in the small town of Aladin. And I finally found a cowboy hat I liked; the one Sandy is wearing.



Joe, Bill and Bob sans the "cowboy" look.

I threw this in so our grandchildren won't forgot what we look like!

I know this next picture looks peculiar - let me explain.

The prehistoric Plains Indians would herd about 300 buffalo to the edge of a sinkhole and force them over the cliff. Results? Supper - (for many moons), clothes, etc. They even used the bone marrow, which was extremely nutritional, mixed with other berries to make something akin to our yogurt, maybe? It was a little disturbing for me at first; I was sad for the buffalo. We did not follow the group that walked down into the pit to view the excavation. Thinking about it later, I guess it was pretty ingenious and you do what you gotta do to survive in those times. It's called the Vore Buffalo Jump and was discovered on the Vore family ranch during the construction of Hwy I-90.


It's way past my bedtime, so that's it for now folks! Hope you are all well and staying cool. I hope I don't dream about those poor buffalo screaming as they fell over that cliff!

No comments: