Wednesday, July 20, 2011

July 18, Extraterrestrials and Devils Tower

I know you've all seen the movie, "Close Encounters of the Third Kind". Well, here we are and I must say I was a lot more impressed than I thought I would be. I don't exactly remember how this formation came about, but it is 867 ft. high at an elevation of over 5,000 ft.. The top is about the size of a football field.
If you look closely, you see a small image on top of a ledge. That's a person! Yes, some crazy people actually climb up this thing. Why? Because it's there! Or maybe to get a glimpse of those Martians they think are still there. Click on the picture and you can see the person quite well.
This is the view from our campground.

Our next stop was at Prairie Dog Town. This was one of my favorite places. It was a wide open field with hundreds of prairie dog burrows and when they sensed people were around, they would pop up, look around, determine if there was food to be had and then scurry back into their hole. Their holes were much larger than I imagined, so I had to be careful. Also, the sign said that black widow spiders and rattlesnakes often make their home in these holes. You can bet, I watched my step!


1 comment:

Jim and Gayle said...

Looks like you're having fun! We were also more impressed with Devil's Tower than we thought we would be. It's well worth the prairie dogs alone!