Wednesday, July 6, 2011

July 6, Mountain Grove, MO

Our goal today was to get to Springfield, MO - it just didn't happen!

We stayed at Wall Doxey State Park campground last night. It was a really nice park with level sites and plenty of shade trees over head. Didn’t take any pictures though; I was a little tired.

We left around 8:30 this morning and I immediately got lost because some detour signs said to "turn here"! WRONG. I think the local highway planners are a little behind on removing their signs. So after wasting 20 min. finding my way back to the correct highway, we headed out hwy 78 toward Springfield.



Getting around Memphis was a trick indeed, but your intrepid Empress of RVing still reigns. As I was about to make a premature turn, I realized my mistake, so I ever so gently eased back into the left lane, causing only one 18 wheeler to swerve across three lanes to avoid hitting me. The other 4 drivers just made obscene hand gestures . I made my exit! Yea ME!

This is NOT the look the 18 wheeler gave me!

Leaving Mississippi and Tennessee behind, we crossed over the Mighty Mississippi River into Arkansas. Ahead lay the Ozarks! (N0te the blue squiggly line on the map above) I really was not prepared for the twists, turns, ups and downs of these hills. Kind of made me sorry we had eaten breakfast at the Cracker Barrel.

We didn’t make it to Springfield; stopped early near a little place called Mountain Grove.



No comments: